Sack o’ spuds

I’d love to claim this as an original idea but alas, it isn’t. Nonetheless, I am very satisfied with S’s Halloween costume. I’m undecided if additional taters are required. In case it isn’t obvious, the brown thing is a cap for her noggin.
It cost me about $12- and, as usual, the greatest part is : it fits:)

20131030-190417.jpg

20131030-190343.jpg

Advertisements

Long time no post

My blatant absence on the site of fawn and Joey is entirely a result of my returning to work after my 18 month (yes, 18 month) maternity leave. I cannot believe it is over. It’s not that it went fast, u tried to experience each day, but it’s more that I can’t believe that part of S’s childhood is behind me. It is unreal the metamorphosis that a first time mom goes thru. Truly, I am not the same person. No other life experience has grown me like this one. It’s hard work- the hardest work- but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Like so many, I am so thankful this thanksgiving, for the beautiful little girl I am lucky enough to call my daughter.

Although I’ve been busy getting into a new routine with a demanding job and a little one at home, I still managed to carve out some time to make this lovely little top from shwin and Shwin. And it fits. Perfect.

20131017-210855.jpg

20131017-210914.jpg

Good to the Last Scrap

I have been a bit quiet lately but that doesn’t mean i haven’t been sewing like a bandit.  I finished the baby quilt for Felicity, whipped up this fun little linen skirt (with pockets that are lined with stripes – making me happy just knowing they are there even if you can’t see them).

Peek -a -boo striped pocket lining

Peek -a -boo striped pocket lining

Soft cotton-linen blend (a left over from the baby houndstooth quilt)

Soft cotton-linen blend (a left over from the baby houndstooth quilt)

Finally found a use for these snazzy blue buttons I've been saving for years

Finally found a use for these snazzy blue buttons I’ve been saving for years

Seams are hidden with a strip of left over dinosaur print binding tape

Seams are hidden with a strip of left over dinosaur print binding tape

I also finished the Geranium shirt for Scarlett (turns out she won’t be able to wear it for another month or so).  Pictures of that later.

Now I’m onto another throw-sized quilt (for a room to be determined later).  This last project sort of crept up on me.  I have been planning on starting the king-sized houndstooth but I haven’t been able to decide on the colors yet.  Feeling the urge to get going on something, I took a look into the ever-expanding pile of scraps and it came together.  I was inspired by the fabulous book “Sunday Morning Quilts” by Amanda Jean Nyberg.  I’ve made a number of quilts from this book and thought i’d try using up some fabric strips I’ve been stock-piling.  Thing was, the more I pieced, the more I realized I didn’t actually have enough just scraps to make the damn thing with.  So, I ended up cutting some special fabrics I’ve been holding onto.  In the end I think the pop of those prints is going to make me like the quilt even more.  Sometimes things made from just scraps feels like a project made of second -rate left overs. This time it won’t.

I just began piecing and realized it was becoming a bit too loud to be a quilt for our bedroom, but perfect as a throw for the basement , and perfect for our cottage (once we buy one:)).

Strip by strip…

A couple rows in and this is how it's coming together.

Toes not included

I just began piecing and realized it was becoming a bit too loud to be a quilt for our bedroom, but perfect as a throw for the basement , and perfect for our cottage (once we finally buy one.  Given the intensity of the front, I’m thinking the quilt backing will need to be a bit more serene.  Thoughts on what color I should make the binding?

 

 

Houndsteeth and Green Apples

Image

So pretty much like I thought, making a houndstooth quilt is sort of a lot of work. Hmm. Should definitely have picked up that new rotary cuter blade before I started…

Well, this is the beginning of the baby quilt I mentioned in an earlier post. My friend’s baby’s room will be navy and white with green apple accents. I went to my local big box fabric store and felt enraged to discover they had no 100% quilting weight navy fabric. How is that possible? Just another reason to pay a little more at a specialty shop. After an hour of searching for an acceptable alternative, I landed on linen. Seemed a bit risky at the time since I’ve never made a quilt with linen before. I have images of my hard work after one wash, turning into a swatch of cloth the perfect size for a doll house. I took the plunge anyway and I’m sooo happy I chose it now – the feel of linen is so organic. I’m excited to hear how it wears over time. I hope it wraps the little guy in softness for years.

The actual piecing has been a snap so far and you can see from these pics how it is coming together.

Image

I found this adorable green print for the binding and backing that I think fits the description for “green apple”- AND it has dinosaurs in it.  Perfect.

Image

And now onto the pressing of seams and assembling of blocks.  That’s tomorrow’s job – it’s really beautiful outside today and we’re off to the park to finally catch the blooming of the Cherry Blossom trees on film.