A Seat for Scarlett & a Seat for Sia

Wow I’ve fallen off the wagon! I see I haven’t posted in almost a month! We went to a cottage for a week and It shook up my routine. Anyhow, I have made a few things – namely these sweet little floor cushions for little bums. I used the great tutorial found at livingwithpunks.com . I picked the fabric from my new favourite source: spoonflower. OMG if u haven’t considered fabric from there you are seriously depriving yourself.

The only thing left to decide is how many more to make.

20130802-123734.jpg

20130802-123753.jpg

20130802-123809.jpg

Good to the Last Scrap

I have been a bit quiet lately but that doesn’t mean i haven’t been sewing like a bandit.  I finished the baby quilt for Felicity, whipped up this fun little linen skirt (with pockets that are lined with stripes – making me happy just knowing they are there even if you can’t see them).

Peek -a -boo striped pocket lining

Peek -a -boo striped pocket lining

Soft cotton-linen blend (a left over from the baby houndstooth quilt)

Soft cotton-linen blend (a left over from the baby houndstooth quilt)

Finally found a use for these snazzy blue buttons I've been saving for years

Finally found a use for these snazzy blue buttons I’ve been saving for years

Seams are hidden with a strip of left over dinosaur print binding tape

Seams are hidden with a strip of left over dinosaur print binding tape

I also finished the Geranium shirt for Scarlett (turns out she won’t be able to wear it for another month or so).  Pictures of that later.

Now I’m onto another throw-sized quilt (for a room to be determined later).  This last project sort of crept up on me.  I have been planning on starting the king-sized houndstooth but I haven’t been able to decide on the colors yet.  Feeling the urge to get going on something, I took a look into the ever-expanding pile of scraps and it came together.  I was inspired by the fabulous book “Sunday Morning Quilts” by Amanda Jean Nyberg.  I’ve made a number of quilts from this book and thought i’d try using up some fabric strips I’ve been stock-piling.  Thing was, the more I pieced, the more I realized I didn’t actually have enough just scraps to make the damn thing with.  So, I ended up cutting some special fabrics I’ve been holding onto.  In the end I think the pop of those prints is going to make me like the quilt even more.  Sometimes things made from just scraps feels like a project made of second -rate left overs. This time it won’t.

I just began piecing and realized it was becoming a bit too loud to be a quilt for our bedroom, but perfect as a throw for the basement , and perfect for our cottage (once we buy one:)).

Strip by strip…

A couple rows in and this is how it's coming together.

Toes not included

I just began piecing and realized it was becoming a bit too loud to be a quilt for our bedroom, but perfect as a throw for the basement , and perfect for our cottage (once we finally buy one.  Given the intensity of the front, I’m thinking the quilt backing will need to be a bit more serene.  Thoughts on what color I should make the binding?

 

 

F is for Felicity

Friends of ours just welcomed their first child- a sweet little thing they named Felicity.  Other than Kerri Russell, I cannot think of any one else I know with that name.  So precious.  Felicity’s parents didn’t want to know ahead of time if she would be a boy or girl so I chose the fail-safe green for her welcome to the world quilt.  I have to say that I am not a fan of making gender neutral baby things because I typically don’t like soft green or pale yellow much.  As a nurse, these colors just remind me of hospital rooms.  That said, I found a great compromise with this animal print and a contrasting bold backing which I picked up with a feature “Plus” in the middle of the quilt front.   I have an unnatural affection for zig zags/chevrons and have been dying to work them into something which made this quick little project a delight.  At the end I decided to quilt the accent squares in a zig zag pattern which looks great up close and has a great texture to the touch.  Not sure if the photos will do it justice though.

Image

By the time I actually finished it, Felicity had been born so I added an “F” to the back for a bit of personalized interest.

Image

Image

Hope she likes it – I think I do:)

All Bound and Ready for Baby

Raging success- will totally use this pattern again.  Here’s the finished Houndstooth!

I almost like it too much to give away

I almost like it too much to give away

 

Back side folded over

Back side folded over

I decided NOT to pre-wash my fabric this time so now I have to see how it washes up.  I had a hard time deciding what pattern to quilt it with so i chose big squares and a few diagonals.  This worked out nice given my fabric shifting basting problems described earlier.

a temporary accent to my new porch furn

 

If I were to keep it (which I’m not) I think it would look awesome draped over my Mother’s Day present!  We just won’t tell the baby it’s for that it almost didn’t make it to him:)